Reading Notes: Brothers Grimm (Librivox), Part A

        In "The Frog Prince," I do not like that the princess tried to betray the frog in this way. I would rewrite this in one of two ways. In the first, the frog would be a witch/wizard who would punish the princess when she refused to hold up her end of the bargain. The other option would be to make the princess kind and thoughtful. Without doubt or hesitation, she would've brought the frog back to her palace upon the return of her ball.


        It would be fun to rewrite "Rapunzel" in a more modern setting. I'd have a young couple in love be forbidden by the girl's parents. Years later, they would be reunited and able to overcome her parents' ill wishes.
        In my opinion, the story of "The Straw, the Coal, and the Bean" would have been better if the characters were people or animals. I would've written it as three animals escaping a hunter together, but the bickering of two of them ended up getting them killed. The last would thinly escape death due to the help of a human.
        I found Elsie to be quite odd and stupid. I don't like that the story ended the way it did and that "Clever Elsie" was not clever at all. In the first part, she's thinking about the future. This made me think it might be interesting to write this so that Elsie sees the future. She isn't just imagining things. Instead of crying alone in the basement, she would tell someone about the pickaxe and have it removed.
        I'd never heard Sleeping Beauty told this way before. I've always heard the true love's kiss version. If I were to rewrite this, I would not end the slumber after 100 years or with a true love's kiss. I feel that something larger would make the story better. Perhaps a great war was ended or a prince defeated the witch who cursed the girl.



Image Information: Frog, Source: Pixabay

BibliographyFairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm translated by Edgar Taylor and Marian Edwardes, with illustrations by R. Anning Bell (1912), source to the text online.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a World Traveling Dog Loving Foodie

Week 4 Story: When Home Is No Longer Home