Reading Notes: Brothers Grimm (Librivox), Part B

        From the first story in this section, I liked the idea of a kind person getting the best out of life. I'd write of three brothers, two handsome but cruel, and the third ugly but kind. The most beautiful woman in the land would draw their eyes. Though the handsome brothers tried for her hand, the kind one would win it instead.
        I did not like that the prince/king in the second story betrayed his beloved. If I wrote of this, I'd have him be loyal and anger his father. Or he would betray her and she would exact her revenge. I'm not sure what the purpose of the eleven clones was.
        For the next story, I'd write about the witch's perspective instead of the couple's. I'd write a sort of prequel, giving the background of the witch. I'd explain how her love had hurt her when she was young so she holed herself away and took out her anger on other lovers who came near.

(Sad Witch in the Woods, Source: Flickr)

        I generally like to condense many similar characters into one when I rewrite stories. For the story of the twelve princesses, I'd write of just one who was always sneaking out very mysteriously. I would want the soldier to prove that he was kind and had good intentions. It always bothers me when men in stories give their daughters off to any guy on the street who can answer a riddle or do him a favor.
        The story of the turnip was all over the place and I hated that it ended with the student being taken advantage of and left for dead. I think I would've had the farmer call upon the magic turnip to defend him and crush his enemies when the villains attacked him.
        The baby birds in the last story were a bit bratty. I wish the parents had wanted to stand up for them without prompting. I doubt that a war was necessary either. I would've written this about humans.



BibliographyFairy Tales by the Brothers Grimm translated by Edgar Taylor and Marian Edwardes, with illustrations by R. Anning Bell (1912), source to the text online.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a World Traveling Dog Loving Foodie

Week 4 Story: When Home Is No Longer Home