Reading Notes: English Fairy Tales, Part B

        The first story was very repetitive. These types of stories tend to annoy me a little bit. Most of the story is just repeated terms or names. I think it's supposed to sound nice and rhythmic, but it's not for me. I would rather have more plot.
        The next story was better. I thought it was strange that the older sisters let Molly go on these dangerous missions for them. I would make it so that the older sister was the one taking care of her younger sisters. This would make more sense as to why the girl felt obligated to take care of her siblings. I did not like that she intended for the wife of the giant to be harmed. She had never expressed bad intentions toward the girls. And what kind of king sends a little girl to steal for him?? Surely, he is rich enough if he has a kingdom.


        I really enjoyed the story of Mr. Fox. It had a flow and rhyme to it that was very satisfying. I liked that the protagonist found what her fate would be before it was too late. She showed bravery. I only wish she had saved the other girl. I suppose the reveal of her knowledge of his intentions could not have been so dramatic if she had fought him in his castle. I think if I rewrote it, I would have her save the girl and together they could kill the man.
        I don't understand how Tommy could have not learned lesson the first time. He almost died and then went on and did again the same thing that got him in trouble last time. Mr. and Mrs. Miacca must have been awfully stupid. If I rewrote this, I'd have to have my boogey man let Tommy go willingly the first time or Tommy would have to come up with a cleverer way of getting out of the situation.
        In the last story, I love that Jack got his happy ending and everyone who was hateful got was coming to them. I don't like, however, how he treated the girls who wanted to marry him. He already knew who he loved and it was unnecessary for him to beat and steal from the others. I would have left this part out.


Bibliography: English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1890), link to the reading online.

Image Information: Three sisters, Source: Wikimedia Commons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a World Traveling Dog Loving Foodie

Week 4 Story: When Home Is No Longer Home