Reading Notes: English Fairy Tales, Part A

        The second story reminded me a lot of my story, Goldenrod. Both of the girls have beautiful golden hair and wicked stepmothers. I wish the girl in this story could have lived to get her revenge. The idea of coming back as a bird to finish her unsettled business was interesting.
        In another story, a woman kills her sister because her husband lusts after her. I would love to write this as a sort of ghost story. The sister haunts her sister for her actions for the rest of time.
        The story of Tom Tit Tot was very similar to the one of Rumpelstiltskin. It would be fun to combine parts of each into something new. I'd love for a normal woman to offer to help the girl instead of an odd creature. This woman might be infertile and unable to have children, so she asks the girl for her first-born child in return for saving her life for 30 days. I always wondered what that little man wanted with an infant human.


        I thought Cap o' Rushes' father was a very odd man, but I did enjoy the Cinderella theme. If I were to rewrite this, I would definitely change why and how the girl was thrown out of her home. I might also change how she reveals her identity to the man. I feel that the ring in the gruel move could've easily ended badly. What if he had swallowed it, choked, and died? What if he had believed the cook when she said she had cooked it?
        When I heard the story of the three pigs in the past, I remember the pig's use of brick being more than luck or chance. He used brick because he was smart and hard-working. Here it seems to be that he just so happened to bump into someone with brick. I also found it very interesting that the story was originally about goats. That makes the chin hair make more sense.
        The final story reminded me very much of that Mickey Mouse short with the wizard. The apprentice is using magic to clean the room, but the mop bucket keeps bringing water until the room is flooded and the mean old wizard has to come and save Mickey. I wonder if the two stories are connected.


Bibliography: English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1890), link to the reading online.

Image Information: Baby, Source: Pixabay

Comments

  1. Hi Casey!
    This story sounds really cool yet sad. That's awesome that it gave you inspiration to write a sequel to your last story! Your really can't go wrong telling a ghost story based on a past story. I am sure it will be amazing! Best of luck with your future writings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a World Traveling Dog Loving Foodie

Week 4 Story: When Home Is No Longer Home